how to apply as an international student for a master’s degree program at the university of Salzburg?
A. Basic rules
- The formal admission process is administered by the Admissions Office called "Studienabteilung". Depending on the case, this process may take up to two months. We therefore advise you to start the formal admission process as soon as possible, but not later than the beginning of September if your program starts at the beginning of October.
- For some programs there is a qualification based selection process administered by the department that offers the program you are applying for. You need to check out the website of the respective departments to find the guidelines of the selection process. In case that your program has a selection process, you should first complete this process before sending documents to the Studienabteilung.
- After receiving your official document of admission, you can start enrolling online in the program you have chosen. However, to complete enrolment, you have to be in Salzburg in person to receive your student-number and ID-card at the "Studienabteilung".
- The admission procedure is essentially the same for EU and non-EU students, with two exceptions mentioned in step 2 and step 5 below.
B. The application process step by step
Step 1: Eligibility
Check out whether the program you want to apply for has a qualitative selection process. If so complete this process according to the specific guidelines for this program.
Step 2: Sending the application form and documents in print
For starting the formal admission procedure, you must provide hard copies of the following documents to the Studienabteilung (see address below) no later than 5 September, 2017:
1. A completed and signed application form
2. A copy of the page of your passport with your picture on it. (The copy need not be certified by an authority).
3. The graduation certificate of your BA degree. (You will need to send the original! If your certificate is not in English, you are required to provide a certified English or German translation.)
4. A copy of the complete list of courses that you have taken in your BA-program.
5. For non-EU students only: an official document of a University in your home country saying that you are allowed to enter their MA-program as a home student.
Note: You will need to certify your documents. In order to do so, we recommend the simplified procedure called “Haager Apostille”. Information about this procedure you find here
Address to which the above documents need to be sent:
University of Salzburg
Step 3: Confirmation by the university and further inquiries
After sending your documents, you should receive a confirmatory email from the Studienabteilung. This email will also inform you about any problems with your documents.
After receiving the confirmation that your application is complete, you will normally receive the admission certificate, or you will be informed about the reasons why it has been declined.
In case that you do not get the confirmation letter or the certificate in time, you should contact the Studienabteilung either by email or by phone:
Note: You should also contact the Studienabteilung immediately, if for any reasons your application is delayed, you cannot provide your documents in time, or you have no safe way to send your documents in the original.
Step 4: Get more information from the Office of International Relations
The Office for International Relations is a service facility of the University of Salzburg that supports international students with information and organisational help, e.g. about student housing, scholarships, social and cultural activities etc. Check out their website
Step 5: Enrolling in your program
For enrolling in your program proceed as follows:
1. Online registration (starts at the beginning of July)
You should go online to this page
There you will need to do the following:
- upload your personal and statistical data
- choose your study program
- upload a passport picture of yourself for the student ID-card
- book a date for personal registration at the Admissions Office in Salzburg, Kapitelgasse 4.
2. When you arrive to your pre-booked appointment at the Admissions Office, you should bring along the following documents:
- the official letter of admission
3. Pay the student union fee (€ 19,20) once your student account has been set up.
4. For non-EU students only: pay in addition a student fee of € 726,72 (per semester).
5. After receiving your student ID and paying the fees, your admission process is completed. You can now use your student-ID for accessing PLUS-online. There you find the complete catalogue of courses offered at the University. You can now select the courses you would like to attend.