2014

Publishing House Wiener Technischer Verlag Brothers Suschitzky

In November 2014, the University Library of Salzburg was able to restitute a Nazi-looted book to 102-year-old Wolf Suschitzky. During the course of the book autopsy at the Main Library, the research team found two provenance entries, a stamp and a bookplate, of the publishing house “Wiener Technischer Verlag Brüder Suschitzky” in the book Taschenwörterbuch der dänischen und deutschen Sprache (Langenscheidt-Verlag, 1907). The stamp was indistinct, and obviously someone had undertaken an (unsuccessful) attempt to remove the bookplate. Therefore only fragments of the name and address of the lawful proprietor could be deciphered; but the motto and motif of the book plate were unharmed.

In autumn 1901, the brothers Philipp und Wilhelm Suschitzky founded a book shop (“Sortiments- und Antiquariatsbuchhandlung“) in Vienna X, Favoritenstraße 57, which was expanded in 1910 by the foundation of a technical publishing house (“Technischer Verlag”). Already in the 1920s did they get into troubles for their engagement for social democracy, women’s rights, pacifism, and social and sexual reforms. In the wake of the end of democracy, Wilhelm Suschitzky committed suicide on 18 April 1934. His widow Adele Suschitzky took over his company share. She could flee Austria after the National Socialist annexation („Anschluss“) and emigrated to London to her children Wolfgang Suschitzky and Edith Tudor-Hart. Philipp Suschitzky and his wife Olga fled to France. Both were deported from there in 1942 and died in Auschwitz.

The Suschitzkys’ book shop, publishing house and books were liquidated by the Nazis.

In 1953, the Studienbibliothek Salzburg, predecessor of the University Library of Salzburg, bought the Nazi-looted dictionary from a travel bookshop. It remains unclear how the book came into the property of this dealer, but there is strong suspicion that the dictionary is a Nazi-looted object. Thus the University Library of Salzburg restituted the book to the son of Wilhelm Suschitzky, Mister Wolf Suschitzky, who lives in London.

The handover took place in London in November 2014. Mister Suschitzky was especially interested in the restitution dossier. He generously donated the book to the University Library of Salzburg as he is attempting to reduce the size of his library.

Wolf Suschitzky, London 2014 (Foto: (c) Brigitte Mayr)

Barrierefreiheit: Kurzbeschreibung des Bildes

Barrierefreiheit: Kurzbeschreibung des Bildes


 

 

2014

The University Library of Salzburg restituted a Nazi-looted book to Austrian actor and author Miguel Herz-Kestranek, grandson of the original owner.


In the course of our library’s provenance research project, the exlibris of Austrian industrialist Dr. Eugen Herz was found in the book Der Deutsche Lausbub in Amerika by Erwin Rosen, published in 1912.
Dr. Herz’s complete property (including his country residence in St. Gilgen), had been „Arianized,“ i.e. stolen by the National Socialists, in 1938. His library had been „cleared for sale“ in 1940. He had survived at lake Chiemsee in Bavaria until his natural death in 1944, while his son Stefan Herz-Kestranek, Miguel Herz-Kestranek’s father, had emigrated and returned to Austria after World War II. It is unclear how our library acquired the book, because the library inventory book of 1953 simply classifies the item as “Altbestand” (previous stock).
Records prove that the library of Dr. Eugen Herz was sold illegally by the Nazi regime. A legal acquisition of the book by our library cannot be proved and seems unlikely. The University Library of Salzburg therefore decided to restitute this book to the rightful owner’s grandson, Miguel Herz-Kestranek. The director of the University Library of Salzburg, Dr. Ursula Schachl-Raber, handed the book over to Miguel Herz-Kestranek who tries to rebuild his grandfather’s library.

Miguel Herz-Kestranek generously allowed the University Library of Salzburg to digitize the book. This link provides access to the full text.

Barrierefreiheit: Kurzbeschreibung des Bildes     Barrierefreiheit: Kurzbeschreibung des Bildes

Barrierefreiheit: Kurzbeschreibung des Bildes

Barrierefreiheit: Kurzbeschreibung des Bildes

2012

Restitution of books and graphics to the abbot of Michaelbeuern monastery

The University Library of Salzburg researched its history from 1938 to 1945 and has been searching its inventory for Nazi-looted books. The ultimate goal of the research project, however, is the restitution of looted books. On October 15, 2012 the University Library of Salzburg gave a first and clear signal of reparation in the course of the book publication “Buchraub in Salzburg.“ and publicly restituted books and graphics to the abbot of Michaelbeuern monastery.

After the handover, the abbot thanked the library in a short address and took the items back into the property of the monastic library. The returned objects are labeled as “Nazi-looted books” in the catalogues of the University Library of Salzburg and can be accessed as digital versions.

Barrierefreiheit: Kurzbeschreibung des Bildes  Barrierefreiheit: Kurzbeschreibung des Bildes  Barrierefreiheit: Kurzbeschreibung des Bildes